Welcome to Nexon Europe.

If this is your first visit, You will have to register before you can post.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

[Raid Boss] Illusionist Xilani

Introduction and concept summary:
    Inspired by complaints that Vindictus raid bosses get too easy for players with high stats, I wanted to do some brainstorming about what a boss should look like in order to be challenging for everyone. The boss should not be sandbag-like, and its attacks should require mostly skill and teamwork (and not DEF) to counter. I had the idea to make a boss who uses the players' strength against themselves, and who learns during the raid how to most efficiently disrupt the way in which players try to defeat the boss.

I will gradually expand the boss suggestion with more details and specific information, hopefully also from comments received from the community. Therefore, please post your remarks and comments such that I can make this suggestion better and more realistic. Note that Xilani is just a placeholder name - I couldn't care less about the name, but I want to discuss the concept.

Boss Skills:

Dividing Line
    Xilani splits the battlefield in half with a wall, such that (roughly) half of the players are on either side. (The placement of the wall is different, but always contains the position where Xilani is standing.) Then, Xilani goes to one side to fight the players there, while on the other side a mirror image is created of each character (as in Resenlian's Labyrinth). The mirror images have stats equal to the players they were created of, and simply spam the highest possible combo towards the nearest player they see.

The Dividing Line wall disappears, and Xilani will be briefly stunned, once all mirror images are destroyed. If all players on the mirror side become incapacitated, the wall disappears and Xilani heals (like Siglint).

Clone
    Xilani becomes a clone of one of the players, with equal stats to the cloned player except that its HP is unaffected. Xilani also looks exactly like this player, and performs the same attack that was most recently used by that player. Cloning ends either after a fixed duration (e.g. 40 seconds) or after the player that was cloned, dies. Additionally, during Clone, the cloned player takes damage from his teammates and can thus be slain by his teammates in order to end Clone prematurely.

Possession
    Xilani becomes motionless and invulnerable, and possesses one of the players, increasing all stats (STR/INT/AGI/WIL/ATT/M.ATT/bal/speed/crit/crit res) by a certain amount. Who is possessed is unknown and can only be determined by checking if one's stats have increased, after which party chat or F1-F4 can be used to signal this. The possessed player can damage to (and be damaged by) other players. If the possessed player is slain by the other party members, the possessed player will instantly revive (no longer possessed) with full health and receive the stat increase as a buff for 60 seconds. If the possessed player is not slain quickly enough (within e.g. 15 seconds), the possessed player dies and cannot be resurrected for the next 30 seconds.
    (Note: This attack will never be selected if only one player is alive.)

Reflection
    The following 10 times Xilani is damaged by a player, the damage done is reflected back onto that player (just as Vengeful gauntlet prefix). Additionally, players receive a buff that gets worse as they hit more: the first hit causes -1000 ATT/M.ATT for 30 secs, the second -2000 ATT/M.ATT for 40 secs, and the third causes -5000 ATT/M.ATT for 60 seconds. Every reflected hit also causes the player to stagger and abort its attack (so that there is little risk for unintentionally hitting more often than intended).

Balance
    The whole battlefield brightens except for two darker 'safe' spots. Players must flee to either of these spots within a short timeframe (e.g. 10 seconds). After this time, if one of the spots has two or more players more than the other (e.g. one has 3 and the other has 5), everyone in the spot with more players dies. Additionally, every player not in a safe spot dies as well. (This means that if there is a misunderstanding and the party sees that a 3/5 imbalance is about to occur, one player may sacrifice himself in order to restore balance by exiting the safe spot, thus saving the others.)

Adaptive Strategy (passive)
    Xilani remembers the effects of each attack it performed, in terms of HP lost by Xilani and the number of deaths that occurred during the party. As the raid goes on, the chance for it to select a certain attack depends on how successful that attack was the previous time it tried that. Furthermore, which player is targeted by the Clone and Possession skills is partially determined by player performance as well as earlier Clone/Possession attacks. The Dividing Line is drawn in such a way that Xilani fights the weaker players while the stronger players fight mirror images of themselves.

================================================== ==========
    Extension: February 25, 3:20 CET

Boss Attacks:
    These are brief attacks that are performed by the boss while fighting the party outside of any of the Boss Skills outlined above. Additionally, these attacks are possible during Dividing Line, Clone, and Reflection.
    • Summons two Illusions that explode 3 seconds later with a medium-range AoE. If both Illusions are destroyed within those 3 seconds, Xilani receives damage and briefly collapses.
    • Turns upper body 90 degrees clockwise, then does a 360 degree counterclockwise spin with both weapons (limited range).
    • Charges for a second, then releases non-homing projectiles towards each player. Upon getting hit, the player cannot see Xilani for the next 10 seconds (buff).
    • Shoots a thread at a target player (fast but not speed of light, can be dodged). If the thread hits, Xilani can only damage (and be damaged) by this player for the next 10 seconds, and all other players are blown away from Xilani (with minimal damage taken).
    • Glows blue for a brief moment, then after 2 seconds releases a large range AoE. Every player not dealing damage to Xilani during these 2 seconds is immune to the AoE.
    • Glows red for a brief moment, then after 2 seconds a low-range AoE effect strikes at every player, hitting all other players around that player but not the player itself. (To avoid getting hit, all players should spread out and be far from each other.)
    • Glows green for a brief moment, then after 2 seconds everyone farther than a few meters from Xilani is hit by an AoE.

All attacks are blockable and can be counterattacked/cross cut/backlash-ed and so on, except the AoE effects.
    Last edited by Takenu; 25.02.2014 at 16:48.

_|_Chayara | level 71 Staff Evie | Tailoring 350 || Eaya | level 80 Twinsword Vella | Armorsmithing 350
    Ixakya | level 71 Staff Evie | Armorsmithing 350 || Xayi | level 76 Twinsword Vella | Weaponsmithing 350
    Deyala | level 73 Scythe Evie | Goldsmithing 350 || Caea | level 80 Dualblade Vella___________________v
    Aoya | level 53 Scythe Evie || Vaea | level 80 Dualblade Vella_|_

Crafted items for sale

Advanced Member

Re: [Raid Boss] Illusionist Xilani

Wow, you put more thought into this than the devs ever could. Well done. I like it.

Have you thought of adjusting some of the stuff for soloing (or make a system that sets the minimum number of players to 2)?
    Last edited by drupcic1; 24.02.2014 at 21:59.
    Karok (Cestus & Pillar): Alistair_Overeem
    Lann (Spears & Swords): Jumper_Lann
    Kai (mainly Crossgun): KibitoKai
    Fiona (Hammer and Sword): Donnatela
    Evie (Staff and Scythe): Tarynn

Never waste your words on a fool you won't listen.

Advanced Member

This sounds damn good! *.*

And no need to think about any solo stuff, let this be a pure party play raid impossible to solo, we lack those ones anyway.
    How could we call this "hard" (and it was supposed to be hard, as in hellish hard, right?) if it could be finished in solo mode?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixIsDead View Post
    And no need to think about any solo stuff, let this be a pure party play raid impossible to solo, we lack those ones anyway.
    How could we call this "hard" (and it was supposed to be hard, as in hellish hard, right?) if it could be finished in solo mode?
    I got absolutely no problem with that. The way this idea is now, it can be done with just 2 players.
    They had some good ideas in s2ep4 raids to make them non-soloable but those can be bypassed by flinching moves, as seen in junyoop's last solo.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by drupcic1 View Post
    Wow, you put more thought into this than the devs ever could. Well done. I like it.

Have you thought of adjusting some of the stuff for soloing (or make a system that sets the minimum number of players to 2)?
    Yeah, so I think the main problem would be Possession so that attack just shouldn't be used while soloing. Reflection would be bothersome (because -5k ATT cannot be avoided) but it's only 60 secs, and solos typically take pretty long anyways. Also, people who solo typically have stats good enough to not suffer too much from this penalty. So I think soloing should be possible, although obviously it's intended as a team battle.

_|_Chayara | level 71 Staff Evie | Tailoring 350 || Eaya | level 80 Twinsword Vella | Armorsmithing 350
    Ixakya | level 71 Staff Evie | Armorsmithing 350 || Xayi | level 76 Twinsword Vella | Weaponsmithing 350
    Deyala | level 73 Scythe Evie | Goldsmithing 350 || Caea | level 80 Dualblade Vella___________________v

Crafted items for sale

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takenu View Post
    Yeah, so I think the main problem would be Possession so that attack just shouldn't be used while soloing. Reflection would be bothersome (because -5k ATT cannot be avoided) but it's only 60 secs, and solos typically take pretty long anyways. Also, people who solo typically have stats good enough to not suffer too much from this penalty. So I think soloing should be possible, although obviously it's intended as a team battle.
    IMO, the main thing here is "Balance". You need at least 2 players to be able to survive it. But I actually like that since I prefer duo runs compared to solo runs.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by drupcic1 View Post
    IMO, the main thing here is "Balance". You need at least 2 players to be able to survive it. But I actually like that since I prefer duo runs compared to solo runs.
    Well in my OP you would be fine if there's at least 1 player difference (because it's important that you can still do this raid with an odd number of players). So the single player can choose a safe spot freely. It's only with 2 or more players that you must be careful when choosing a spot.

Crafted items for sale

Advanced Member

Well in my OP you would be fine if there's at least 1 player difference (because it's important that you can still do this raid with an odd number of players). So the single player can choose a safe spot freely. It's only with 2 or more players that you must be careful when choosing a spot.
    I really feel dumb now... Sorry for misreading it.
    Anyway, this is brilliant but I think something like this won't get implemented... ever. :/

Skilled Member

Xilani becomes a clone of one of the players, with equal stats to the cloned player except that its HP is unaffected. Xilani also looks exactly like this player, and performs the same attack that was most recently used by that player. Cloning ends either after a fixed duration (e.g. 40 seconds) or after the player that was cloned, dies. Additionally, during Clone, the cloned player takes damage from his teammates and can thus be slain by his teammates in order to end Clone prematurely.
    -1, i am not masochistic, i dont agree with dying if i made no mistake, and this cr@p punishes players randomly with death even if they did no mistake.Keaghan's grab is lethal but at least you can dodge it, even kraken's grab can be dodged.

Xilani becomes motionless and invulnerable, and possesses one of the players, increasing all stats (STR/INT/AGI/WIL/ATT/M.ATT/bal/speed/crit/crit res) by a certain amount. Who is possessed is unknown and can only be determined by checking if one's stats have increased, after which party chat or F1-F4 can be used to signal this. The possessed player can damage to (and be damaged by) other players. If the possessed player is slain by the other party members, the possessed player will instantly revive (no longer possessed) with full health and receive the stat increase as a buff for 60 seconds. If the possessed player is not slain quickly enough (within e.g. 15 seconds), the possessed player dies and cannot be resurrected for the next 30 seconds.
    (Note: This attack will never be selected if only one player is alive.)
    -1, again with the masochistic cr@p, i dont want to be a punching bag and killed, even if i ress for free i will lose the buffs and get my armor damaged. I saw a fiona with 17k defence, the party will have a hard time killing her, why should they get penalized like that? Is the party to be blamed for that or the fiona for investing in defence? seems unfair/unbalanced to me.

I seriously hope these attacks can be dodged or prevented by the targeted player.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdCry View Post
    I seriously hope these attacks can be dodged or prevented by the targeted player.
    Malina is full with bosses that can be solo'ed or sandbagged. This suggestion is intended as a raid boss that is most easily defeated by skillful teamplay.

For the first one, you don't have to die at all at Clone, it's only if the party says it's better that you die. This is a choice the party must make. You can also simply continue hitting the boss.

For the second, well I didn't go into details but the thought was that you would revive as by goddess grace: with all your armor repaired. Also, the given buff would be better than anything you might've had.

You correctly say that a 17k DEF fiona would be very hard to kill. This is what would make such a boss fun: you have to think not just about maxing all stats and slaying the boss with minimal effort. You have to actually think, make a decent strategy, and be smart.

Crafted items for sale

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast